- 6 to 7 cups (125 grams per cup) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 cups cool water (70° to 75°)
- In a large bowl, whisk 6 cups flour, sugar, yeast, cinnamon and salt. Stir in raisins and walnuts; add water and enough remaining flour to form a moist, shaggy dough. Do not knead. Cover and let rise in a cool place until doubled, 7-8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 450°; place a Dutch oven with lid onto center rack and heat for at least 30 minutes. Once Dutch oven is heated, turn dough onto a generously floured surface. Using a metal scraper or spatula, quickly shape into a round loaf. Gently place on top of a piece of parchment.
- Using a sharp knife, make a slash (1/4 in. deep) across top of loaf. Using the parchment, immediately lower bread into heated Dutch oven. Cover; bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until loaf is deep golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped, 20-30 minutes longer, partially covering if it is browning too much. Remove loaf from Dutch oven and cool completely on wire rack.
1 slice: 130 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 149mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.